Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Can I switch the ignition switch instead of buying new keys from the dealer for a 98 Ford Explorer?

I just helped my mom repo a 98 ford explorer. We couldn't get the one and only key back from the buyer. If i go to the dealer I have to buy 2 keys and have them both programmed. Can i just replace the ignition? Or is the key based anti theft tied into the computer?Can I switch the ignition switch instead of buying new keys from the dealer for a 98 Ford Explorer?It will take 2 new keys, and the dealer must program them. The upside is, at that time they will delete any other keys that are currently programmed, so it can't be re-repoed by the last key holder.Can I switch the ignition switch instead of buying new keys from the dealer for a 98 Ford Explorer?A dealer will have to program a new set for you. The chips are linked with the cars computers to prevent theft.

No comments:

Post a Comment