Thursday, January 26, 2012

Is this obsessive compulsive disorder?

I have always had weird little behaviors that I would have to do, for example, arrange my pencil case and books a certain way when I walked from class to class in school, little word games I would play in my mind during normal conversation. If a word in a conversation sticks out to me, I have to spell it backwards in my mind, and then "pretend type" it on my fingers forwards then backwards, backwards then forwards, backwards then forwards then forwards then backwards, until they're even. Everything needs to be even numbers.

Well just recently my little quirks have gotten extreme. In the shower, I HAVE to do things in a certain order, and put my shampoo/conditioner etc back in the same spot, facing forward, cap back on my razor, same way of putting on my robe and towel, everything has to be the same. I have to make my bed the same way every morning, and unmake it the same way every morning. I can't leave the house if my room isn't organized the way I like it, and I will get agitated if people mess up my things. One night it took me 15 minutes to get into bed because I had to make it more perfect than how I did it that morning, simply before I could even get in bed. I'm concerned because obsessive thoughts keep popping up, and I don't want it to become a serious problem. What should I do?Is this obsessive compulsive disorder?
It does sound like some sort of OCD. If it is interfering with your life it would be a good idea to see a psychologist who can diagnose and treat you, making it easier to manage/reduce your symptoms. It is great that you have noticed it early and want to change your behaviour. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do =)Is this obsessive compulsive disorder?
I do the same thing. Count steps and dont step on cracks. The crack thing slows me down when I walk but i like it.
  • edelbrock
  • death certificates
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment