Thursday, January 26, 2012

Why can't These Dentist Just Pull the Tooth?

Alright, I’m getting nervous. Three weeks ago I took my son to the dentist (Read the whole story on my post dated three weeks ago.



http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;…



We saw another dentist, the same day, who stated he would be happy to treat my son. He placed him on a drug called Cleon (75mg./5 ml. granule/200 ml) 1 teaspoon four times a day. That was on April 26th. An appointment was set at that time to bring my son in and extract the tooth on May 5th. I now, 100%, believe poster Only match4u’s response when he stated “The primary thing dentists look for in patients is their ability to pay and the profit they will make”. I believe some dentist may have a true concern for their patients, as there are some great dentists out there, but it seems when all is said and done, the bottom line is their main concern. Hey, they have bills just like everyone else, but that’s a discussion for another time.



On May 5th when we returned “other” concerns were found and the tooth was not removed. I went back with my son that day and the room was prepped for an extraction (syringe of Novocain, and those God awful tooth pulling pliers). Remember that x-rays and a panoramic (or pan) x-ray were done by bad doctor before she tried to numb son’s infected tooth with four shots of Novocain. When we left the new dentists office on April 26th, my first call was to my son’s prior doctor requesting all the x-rays. I wanted to make sure those x-rays were there when we returned on May 5th. I knew the x-rays made it on time because I asked the assistant. Well it seems that the old fashion way of taking x-rays Arena’t good enough now. Now dentist want to take x-rays and they pop up on the computer screen (I’m sure it’s cheaper than developing x-rays). Anyway after the x-rays were taken the assistant stated Dr. Smith was in his office reviewing the new x-rays on his computer and would be with us soon. Sure enough Dr. Smith came in with brought with him a whole new list of things that need to be done (remove all silver filling and replaced with tooth colored filling, three cavities and a root canal /cap to save a molar on my son’s lower right side in an effort to save the tooth since there is no permanent molar under the present primary molar. Ok, that makes sense. After the dentist gave us his new game plan, he put off the extraction of the infected tooth (the whole reason we ended up in his office in the first place). This dentist office is one that practices IV Sedation. Since the doctor gave us a whole new treatment plan, he thought it best to bring my son, sedate him via IV and get all the work done at one time. I was sure son could make it a week, as the Cleon seemed to do it’s job by killing the infection and son was no longer in pain. This was on May 5th. When we got to the office manager’s office for the do and don’t list before sedation, as well as making an appointment to return, the office manager explained there were no open appointments when the anesthesiologists and his/her certified nurse anesthetists would be there. The manager assured us she would call as soon as an appointment became available. I made my son complete all of the medication which ran out on May 9th.



On Thursday night, May 13th, my son’s tooth started hurting again. How could that much medicine not totally wipe and bacteria with a three mile radius. He only finished it four days earlier. I called the dentist office on Friday, May 14th and let them know what was going on. Before I could say anything further, the receptionist pointed it out that the office closed on Friday’s at 12:00 Noon and there was no way my son would been seen that day. I then asked if the dentist could call in a prescription of Cleon to help my son make it through the weekend. The doctor approved the prescription, but sent me a message via the receptionist that the infection would only return until the tooth was removed and I needed to make an appointments. WHAT???? I’m waiting on your office to call me with an appointment!!!! We got the prescription filled and by Friday night the pain was better.



This morning my son woke up and his left side jaw is visibly swollen. Son states he’s not in bad pain as long as he doe sn’t touch the tooth or eat. He’s 10 years old and weights 70 pounds. He can’t afford not to eat. I am getting him to drink a lot of water, but it has to be lukewarm.



What going on in my son’s jaw? Is this an out of control infection? He has a low grade temperature that I’m controlling with acetaminophen and he has slept most of the day.



If I can get him into the dentist office tomorrow can the tooth even be pulled (if the swelling is being caused by infection). I know I have to be cool, calm and collective when I phone the dentist office tomorrow, but for the love of God, what they hell is wrong with these people?Why can't These Dentist Just Pull the Tooth?
Your dentist is negligent. Plain and simple. I have no idea why he wouldn't pull a 10 y/o's tooth, especially knowing it had been infected!! Unfortunately, it can't be pulled while it is infected. I would call the dental office Monday morning as soon as they open and if they can't fit you in as an emergency, call another dentist. Your son desperately needs dental care! Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment