Monday, January 30, 2012

What should use to paint my 71 Ford F250?

I just got a 1971 Ford F250 3/4 ton. It's white but it looks pretty rough and has numerous rust spots throughout. I'm planning on painting it myself and already know the basic process. Now I'm deciding what type of paint I should use and whether I should just paint it white or change the color.What should use to paint my 71 Ford F250?Realize if you want to change the color your going to have to go thru the hassle of repainting the door jambs, inside of the doors, tail gate jambs, under the hood, etc.... This might seem like an easy task but its actually is a very time consuming process..... I changed the color on an S10 from Silver to white and it took more than twice the labor.... I even had to unbolt the pickup box and put it on saw horses so I could paint the back of the cab and front of the box correctly.... It looked great but what a headache....



I changed one ford truck from town truck school bus yellow to red.... On that one I actually painted the jambs with a brush using rustoleum red paint.... Doing all the jambs, under the hood, and between the box took about 6 hours total with a helper.... We de-greased the jambs of oil and wet sanded them with 600 grit paper.... I didn't completely remove the rear box... Just unbolted it and moved it back enough to get between them and roll them with a clothe roller to get the paint in-between there....



The prepped the outside of the truck so it could be sprayed with regualr auto painy....



Type of paint?... Base coat clear coat is the best but costs a fortune.... Figure over $300 for a large pickup and don't be surprised if the price reaches $500 or more....



Single stage enamel is cheap but the shine doesnt hold up for long....



Consider single stage urethane.... Its priced right and gives decent results.....

No comments:

Post a Comment